Monday, May 05, 2014

The Ambiguity of Usefulness ~ 4

I remember about my brother's second visit to my current "home". Bounded by 2 hours on a plane is not a bad idea, I guess. According to the social rule, as far as I know, the older brother ie expected to become the role model. But I didn't, don't, and (probably) won't follow. Back then, I was overruled by the third party, which means, my role as the role model was invalid. "Just get the good grades, and get the bachelor degree" was my main function. So, you see, thanks to that, we're not having that kind of "good-friend" ties. For me, it's a pure formality, and probably it's way too late to fix it.

The first day of his visit was filled in with both of our current workspace: "how's work", "how's the management", "how's mom and  dad", and so on. Until, late that night, the mood was perfectly ruined with the question about relationship. I suspect there's an army who will hunt down those 30-and-still-single, especially for women. Long live patriarchy, eh?

"So, girlfriend?"
"Not yet."
"You're 30, and you're ready for that."
"Says who?"
"I stand corrected. Nobody will be ready for anything, but you're 30. You need one."
"Again, says who?"
"You are aware that dad is 60 years old."
"And not working, and no saving. Yes, I'm aware that much, thank you very much. Don't even try to change the subject. I ask again. Says who."

Oh, boy. Things will get ugly from here.

"What's your point?"
"My point is, I'm staying here for work. Not for a girlfriend."
"Make a time for that."
"If I can, I will. Problem is, I can't."
"Why?"
"Work."
"But..."
"No work, no money, no food for you guys. Is that what you really want?"
"Hey, I have a job."
"Will your saving cover your plan to buy a house?"
"We can manage something. You don't have to worry about that."
"I bet there's nothing in that something you mentioned. Don't throw a fake ball."
"But you're 30. The moment you reach 40, it's already too late to become a parent."
"Then you can go ahead. I don't mind. I never asked you not to overstep me in marriage."
"But it's not according to the standard."
"Did our family grow according to the standard?"
"If you worry about the money, I'm sure that your income will doubled. Or even tripled."
"Again, says who?"
"Look at our parent!"
"No saving. Reality check. You forget the neighbor. Divorced, two children, no saving."
"You're stubborn."
"Let me do my own part. For you, get yourself a girlfriend, marry her, and prove me wrong."
"It's useless talking to you."
"Not for me. At least, I finally see what's in your head."
"Which is?"
"Being single will always be labelled as useless cause it won't grant a child. If that's your point of thinking about filial piety, then I shouldn't be here in the first place. I could stay as a close-minded person with the basis of living-from-paycheck-to-paycheck."
"You've changed."
"Everybody is."

No comments: